I went to Manville, New Jersey with a friend to the Happy Party Train Concert, expecting a modest crowd in comparison to what I had seen in the New York screening in the past. I walked into the theater and saw that most of the seats were filled–several people carried Love Live plushies, a few wore Love Live shirts, and some people even cosplayed. Of course, fans came prepared with plenty of penlights and glow sticks.
Here is the set list, courtesy of the Love Live Wikia!
- HAPPY PARTY TRAIN by Aqours
- Pops heart de Odorun damon! (Pops heartで踊るんだもん！) by Aqours
- MC – 1
- Shoujo Ijou no Koi ga Shitai (少女以上の恋がしたい) by Aqours
- Natsu e no Tobira Never end ver. (夏への扉 Never end ver.) by Riko Sakurauchi, Hanamaru Kunikida, & Mari Ohara
- Manatsu wa Dare no Mono? (真夏は誰のモノ？) by Dia Kurosawa & Ruby Kurosawa
- Jimo Ai ♡ Mantan ☆ Summer Life (地元愛♡満タン☆サマーライフ) by You Watanabe & Yoshiko Tsushima
- Natsu no Owari no Amaoto ga (夏の終わりの雨音が) by Chika Takami & Kanan Matsuura
- MC – 2
- Mijuku DREAMER (未熟DREAMER) by Aqours
- Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM (恋になりたいAQUARIUM) by Aqours
- MC – 3
- Daydream Warrior by Aqours
- Thrilling・One Way (スリリング・ワンウェイ) by Aqours
- MC – 4
- Kinmirai Happy End (近未来ハッピーエンド) by CYaRon!
- GALAXY HidE and SeeK by AZALEA
- Kowareyasuki (コワレヤスキ) by Guilty Kiss
- MC – 5
- Aozora Jumping Heart (青空Jumping Heart) by Aqours
- SKY JOURNEY by Aqours
- MC – 6
- MIRAI TICKET by Aqours
- Kimi no Kokoro wa Kagayaiteru kai? (君のこころは輝いてるかい？) by Aqours
- Sunshine Pikkapika Ondo (サンシャインぴっかぴか音頭) by Aqours
- MC – 7
- Taiyou o Oikakero! (太陽を追いかけろ!) by Aqours
- Landing Action Yeah!!! by Aqours
Brand new, and possibly exclusive animation to the concert was shown featuring a train from the Happy Party Train PV. As the train sped up, all nine members of Aqours were shown, to the applause of many fans. A big model of a train went on stage, along with the idols as the concert began.
Although last time, the sub units were the star of the show, this time, the duo-trio units captured a lot of fan’s attention. I’ll explain the duo-trio units for those who may not be familiar: a few months ago, the girls of the group were put into small groups and had their own summer-based songs for a CD, complete with themed outfits. Girls that were not typically paired for entire songs were put together. In terms of my favorite song, Dia’s and Ruby’s is right on top. I’ve listened to their song several times. Their performance made the song fresh for me– the outfits were airy and flowed well with the feel of the song.
Although the concert lasted four hours and had plenty of songs, it went by at a reasonable pace. I didn’t feel like there were too many transitions. There were a few video segments of the characters as chibis–I’m personally not the biggest fan of the chibis as they are a little awkward looking to me because they are floating heads in frames, but got a few laughs out of one of the shorts that focused on my favorite character, Ruby.
If you follow my YouTube Channel, you know that I love fashion. I feel that the outfits are almost as important, if not equally so to the songs. I loved seeing the various outfits the idols wore. I expected to see Happy Party Train and sub-unit costumes, but was surprised and pleased to see them back in the outfits they wore for their first single.
If you are curious about how the chibis look, an official video was posted after the concert. I can’t understand much of the video without subtitles, but it according to Crunchyroll, it appears that it is an announcement video of a new app called Love Live! School Idol Festival All STARS. On the subject of announcements, a third tour was also announced for this summer!
Overall, I had a great time at this concert and look forward to seeing the third one this summer!